Home extensions with bi-folding and sliding doors are an innovative and effective way to increase space in your home. With hundreds of different styles and designs, there is one perfectly suited to your own taste.
We’ve found 10 of the most stylish kitchen extensions to give you a little inspiration…
1. The dark frame of the bi-folds perfectly pairs with the brick exterior of this house for a classic and stunning look.
2. This extension is sleek, modern and bright.
3. Don’t like following trends? Install bi-folds on the corner of your extension. Edgy.
4. Blurring the boundary between the kitchen and garden is this open extension and chill-out patio.
5. Install L-shaped doors like these and let the light flood into your home.
6. This extension proves that sliding glass doors look great in traditional homes too.
7. Who said old buildings don’t suit contemporary sliding doors?
8. This Victorian London home’s back extension is enough to make all the neighbours envious.
9. Boardroom or dining room? Either way, this extension with bi-folds will bring everyone together.
10. Attract the natural light from above with roof lanterns – the perfect addition to any extension.
Feeling inspired by these stunning extensions?
If you want to plan an extension with bi-folding or sliding doors then get in touch with our friendly team.
Roof lanterns, also known as skylights, are a popular, trendy and visually-appealing feature: the perfect addition to any home. The contemporary lantern-style roof lights boast a cutting-edge design and offer a variety of benefits throughout the year.
1. Increased light and brighter rooms
We’re always trying to find innovative ways to increase the amount of natural light which enters our homes.
The daylight maintains your body’s natural sleep cycle, controls hormones that govern your bodily functions, lowers high blood pressure, improves brain function, and provides vitamin D – which is important for your immune system.
With this increase of light, you’re guaranteed to feel more positive and productive.
The design and increased surface area of roof lanterns mean they are a great way to attract the sunlight in. Particularly during the shorter days in the winter months, an increase in light can make all the difference.
The economical, physical and psychological benefits will leave you with a happier and healthier household.
2. Exceptional energy efficiency
Roof lanterns are the UK’s strongest and most thermally-efficient roof system (as tested by BBA), so you stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
The energy-efficient glazing acts as a barrier against the elements.
The increase in daylight entering your home means you’ll decrease the use of artificial light and save money on your electricity bill every month. The technology of the windows also mean that you won’t need to run the heating as much during the colder months.
3. No planning permission
Installing roof lanterns doesn’t usually require any planning permission. This means you’ll be able to skip the hassle of time-consuming applications.
According to the Planning Portal, there are three limits and conditions to which your lanterns must comply:
- Any alteration to project no more than 150 millimetres from the existing roof plane.
- No alteration to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
- Side facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
To comply with the building control requirements, you will need to consult a structural professional to find out the appropriate proportions of the roof lanterns.
We do recommend that you double check, just to be on the safe side!
4. Increased property value
The conventional and sleek design of roof lanterns can significantly add value to your home. They automatically make rooms appear more spacious, airier and brighter – a dreamy combination for any buyer.
The lanterns are also relatively cheap and easy to install, making them an accessible investment for many homeowners. The cutting-edge design of the windows will transform your new build, or existing property, and raise its value.
The minimalist appearance of the lanterns make your home look contemporary and modernised, keeping bang on trend.
5. Impressive sky views
You’ll create the opportunity for more sky and less roof!
Obviously, the British weather is unpredictable… But you can enjoy the outside while remaining in the comfort of your own home, and watch the seasons pass.
Whether you’re relaxing in the evening with your family or hosting an extravagant dinner party, the sky view is guaranteed to impress everyone who’s lucky enough to see it.
Do these benefits sound tempting? Our experienced specialists can help you with the design, site survey and installation of your roof lanterns.
Get in touch with our friendly team today and we’ll help you get started.
Sliding patio doors are slick, stylish and quickly becoming a popular alternative to bi-folding doors. The effortless design and large glass panels of the doors are contemporary and the perfect addition to your home.
We’ve written this guide specially to make the process of choosing, buying and installing your sliding doors easier for you.
Will sliding doors add value to my home?
Sliding doors are a fairly big investment, so you’re going to want to know exactly how they are going to affect the value of your house. The stunning design of the doors will do more than just make your neighbours green with envy. These are some of the guaranteed benefits:
- The large glass panels will create the illusion of bringing the outdoors in.
- The amount of natural light which enters your home will significantly increase; adding value to your daily life, not just your home.
- You’ll save precious kitchen or lounge space. The design of the doors means they don’t swing in or out. Instead, they simply glide back and forth on runners.
- Want to save on electricity? The contemporary design of the doors means that they are energy efficient, saving you money on your utility bills. The improved thermal insulation and multi-pane glass means that your home keeps warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Improved door technology now means that you can have up to three tracks.
If these all sound like benefits which you’d like to enjoy for yourself, then read on.
Deciding on the material and frame colour
Aluminium is lightweight, low maintenance and the ideal material for your stylish sliding doors. The frames give a minimalistic and contemporary appearance, perfect if you want to simply modernise your home.
If you already have a preferred colour scheme in mind, you’ll be happy to hear that you can choose any of the 180+ RAL colours. They’ll fit right in.
Choose your threshold
Thresholds work to keep debris from entering your home at the bottom of your door. Thresholds are important part of any sliding patio door, and there are two general types to choose from.
Low threshold – makes it easy to open your home to the outdoors. A low threshold is ideal if you need easy access for wheelchair users or children. While they create the perfect illusion of bringing the outside in, these are not as weather resistant. You will need to consider whether the area is sheltered enough for this type of threshold.
Standard threshold – designed to withstand rain and draughts a lot better. This type of threshold is not completely flat, but the lip can still be installed very low. If there isn’t much surrounding shelter this may be the choice for you.
It may be worth asking the opinion of an architect, or let our team survey your property,. This may be the best way to ascertain which type of threshold would best suit your home.
The maintenance of sliding doors
With a hundred other things going on in our lives, we don’t want to add another regular chore to the list. Luckily, sliding doors require a relatively low amount of upkeep. Aluminium is one of the most durable materials for sliding doors. The frame should withstand the British weather conditions for a long period of time. A few things you will need to do include:
- Regularly cleaning the glass panels – leaving them sparkling
- Lubricating the runners occasionally to allow for the smoothest slide of the doors
- Cleaning the frame with a little detergent
- Vacuuming the tracks
For more useful tips, check out our guide to cleaning bi-fold doors. The maintenance involved is very similar.
Worried about the safety and security?
The safety of sliding doors has probably crossed your mind due to the sheer quantity of glass provided by the doors. The new design of sliding doors mean that the most sliding doors can be installed with effectively shatter-proof glass.
There are a few things which you can implement in order to make your sliding doors as secure as possible:
- Use aluminium seals which have a spring loading, so that when the door is closed a lever is compressed, causing a rubber seal to be forced downwards on to the door jamb.
- Install a hook-over locking mechanism to ensure the sliding leaf can’t be lifted from its frame.
- Buy stylish blinds or drapes to keep your valuables out of sight of burglars.
- Considering choosing built-in multipoint locks.
There is no reason why your home should be any less secure with sliding doors.
The installation process
Convinced yet? If so, here’s the next step. Ideally, you should order your doors while the opening is being built. We can then guarantee that the doors are installed on the day you need them. Once you’ve finalised your design, we’ll survey the site, supply the patio sliding doors and install them.
The whole process, from survey to installation, takes about 2 – 3 weeks. Get in touch with us today for any further advice. Our friendly team will be more than happy to help.